Monday, March 23, 2009

Weekly Blog

I'm on a roll here ...

In the 3/16/09 issue of Time, author Lev Grossman wrote an article entitled "Quitting Twitter". He writes, "Its the social network du jour. But what do we really get out of it, aside from being interrupted?"

Of course I felt this way already, with the use of e-mail. There is something about getting an e-mail and seeing it flash in the corner of the screen and needing to answer it right away. It is like when the phone rings, I have to answer it!

I think about the days when I started to teaching to today. I didn't even have a computer in the classroom I was student teaching in. The school I was at still hand wrote attendance. Today, I'm interrupted by the need to be on e-mail, check e-mail, all the time!!! To me, something like Twitter, sounds like e-mail on steriods.

Lev Grossman writes about his recent obsession w/a Famous Writer he likes who tweets. The most profound thing he shared wa "the more interested I get in Famous Writer's life, the less interested I am in my own." Later he says "I think I'm in danger of mistaking my connection to Famous Writer for an actualy human relationship instead of what it is - a slow drip of basically trivial data that I've been using as an excuse to get out of the hard work of being alone w/myself". Whoa. And the last line - "Just remember, the un-Twittered life is still worth living". I think I'll stick w/that one.

No comments: