Monday, March 23, 2009

Monthly Thing - Thing #13

Before MILI, did you belong to any social networks? Which ones? What has been your experience as part of that network?
No, I haven't been a member. MILI certainly has peeked my interest. I think I will join Facebook this summer when I have more time to read it and figure out how it works.

How's Facebook? MySpace? Other social networks you joined?
I just joined Classroom 2.0 and I'm proud of me for doing that - it looks like a great site I'm going to pass onto some colleagues as soon as I'm done w/this. I just saw a really great Slide Show - I typed in "High School Sociology" - it will be a great clip to use when I teach a unit on Sociology and Technology.

I guess I did join a Social Network last summer. When I went to the AP US History class, we signed into the College Board's page. I can see where that would be REALLY helpful if you were teaching a class for the first time.

Did you have any trouble finding a social network that fit your interests? Does online social networking appeal to you personally? Why or why not?
Social Networks somewhat appeal to me. I'd like to find a social network or Ning that is comprised of High School Sociology teachers, similar to the way the College Board has them for AP Teachers.

They appeal to me in that I'm selfish and my time is precious, so if I can find an answer or a better way of doing something, that sounds great. However, I'm not one to have a lot of patience sitting in front of a computer, so I wouldn't say it would be my first communication choice. I'd rather actually talk to someone.


Is online social networking used in your professional sphere in some way? If so, how? If not, can you think of a way using an online social networking site might be beneficial to your educational community, whether with colleagues or students?
I can see where it would be useful and did try to set a Wiki up w/our Dept. It didn't go very far. People don't have more time to spend on technology.


If you set up a social network using Ning, how did it go? I didn't try this.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Out of curiosity, I searched "sociology teachers" in Facebook, and there is a group called "Sociology teachers unite and take over" - there are only 40+ members, but it looks like they've shared some good resources.

I also happened upon this on the 2.0 Ning, so you may have already seen it, but just in case:

http://www.classroom20.com/video/the-micro-sociology-of